We often get questions in our facebook group from pet parents wondering if their chihuahuas have an Apple Head or a Deer Head. Sometimes it’s easy to tell. Other times, not so much. Hopefully this guide will help you if you are wondering what your chihuahua is.
The funny thing is, these terms are not even mentioned in the Chihuahua Club of America breed standard guidelines. However they do state that a chihuahua should have a well rounded “apple dome” skull.
So does that mean if you have a deer head, your chihuahua isn’t legitimately a chihuahua? No, of course not. In fact, there can be deer heads and apple heads in the same litter with the same parents. It just means the ideal chihuahua has an apple head in the eyes of the CCA. So if you ever wanted to enter your chi in a dog show, you couldn’t with a deer head. Most of us don’t have chihuahuas for show though, we have them for companionship.
One thing that should make you feel better about having a deer head chihuahua is that even though they aren’t the ideal standard of the breed, they are less prone to health issues than apple heads are.
Characteristics of an Apple Head Chihuahua
- The head is very round and bulbous.
- The eyes appear to be lower down on the head and often bulge out more.
- The forehead is prominent.
- The muzzle is short.
- Apple heads tend to have a smaller body than deer heads.
By the way, the little cutie above is named Newt and he belongs to Evelyn Ann Ciaramella Hannigan.
Here’s a video with an apple head chihuahua:
Characteristics of a Deer Head Chihuahua
- A longer, more tapered snout (or nose).
- The eyes appear to be higher up on the head.
- The forehead is less pronounced and not as round as an Apple Head.
- Their head often resembles a deer’s head (hence the name).
- Deer head chis tend to be a little larger than apple heads.
Here’s a video of a deer head chihuahua:
Now I do have to mention that I have seen some chihuahuas that seem to be a combination of both types so if you have a hard time telling which one your chi is, it could be because of that.
So do you have a deer head or an apple head chihuahua? My Kilo is an apple head.
Feel free to upload a photo of your apple or deer head chi in the comments. Or if you aren’t sure what you have, add your photo and maybe we can help you figure it out.