Skip to Content

20 Dangerous Things To Keep Away From Your Chihuahua

Share this post!

I Love My Chi may earn a small commission for purchases made after clicking links on this page.  Learn More

fawn colored chihuahua sitting by a cup of coffee

We all love our fur babies and want to keep our Chihuahuas happy and healthy. That’s the reason for this article. A lot of these items are perfectly safe for humans, but not for dogs. I want you to be aware of the possibles dangers out there and how to protect your precious Chi.

1-Chocolate

Most people know about this but just in case you didn’t, never let your dog eat chocolate. I have personally lost a beloved beagle because he got into a large chocolate candy bar without our knowledge. The only way we knew this is what killed him is that he had an autopsy. It was a horrible experience and one I don’t wish on anyone else.

2-Caffeine

Caffeine in coffee, soft drinks or anything else is toxic to dogs and can be deadly.

3-Cocoa Mulch

It’s often sold in garden centers and just like chocolate, it can be deadly if ingested.

4-Lawn Chemicals (pesticides, herbicides, plant foods and fertilizers)

Some of these can be fatal if your dog gets into them. There is a danger too if these things get on your dog’s feet and they lick them off.

5-Pesticides used for bugs and rodents

Even if you keep the pesticides away from your pup, if your dog finds a poisoned rodent and eats it, he will also ingest that poison. For a small dog like a Chihuahua, it can be fatal.

6-De-icing Salts

These are sometimes used to de-ice your car windshield. Once they get on the ground, your dog can get the residue on their paws. When your dog licks his paws, he ingests the poison. Keep booties on your dog in the winter if you live in a cold climate. Or make sure you wash your dog’s paws off after they come in from a walk.

7-Old Antifreeze

Antifreeze traditionally had a sweet taste that was attractive to dogs. Recently manufacturers have voluntarily added a bitter agent to the antifreeze to discourage animals from trying to drink it. Be aware if you have any old bottles of antifreeze stored in your garage that it doesn’t have this agent. Antifreeze is highly toxic to animals and will kill them.

8-Acetaminophen

You may not know what Acetaminophen is but I’m sure you probably know what it is by it’s brand name which is Tylonel. It’s toxic in dogs. In fact, many medications that are fine for humans are toxic for pets so be sure to keep them out of their reach.

9-Plants

Many houseplants and garden plants are toxic to dogs if they happen to eat them. The Humane Society has a document that lists all the poisonous plants. You can find it here: http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/pets/poisonous_plants.pdf

10-Grapes and Raisins

One grape may not hurt your dog (unless your Chi is a puppy or very tiny) but a handful or more can cause liver and kidney damage.

11-Avocados

Avocados contain a substance called Persin which is mildly toxic to dogs.

12-Bread Dough

Bread dough contains yeast which if it is ingested, it can cause serious illness and sometimes even death.

13-Moldy Food

Of course we would not eat moldy food. But your dog may find it in the garbage and eat it. Moldy food contain Mycotoxins which will make your dog ill, if they eat it.

14-Macadamia Nuts

Although nuts are a healthy snack for humans, they are not for dogs. Many varieties of nuts can cause some problems but Macadamia nuts are the worst of the lot.

15-Onions

Onions in any form (cooked, raw, onion powder) contain thiosulphate which will cause dogs to develop a serious type of Anemia several days after they eat the onions. Garlic is also toxic but to a lesser degree.

16-Fish and Chicken Bones

These bones tend to be very brittle and sharp and can cause serious injury to your dog’s digestive system.

17-Xylitol

Xylitol is a sugar substitute often found in chewing gum, breath mints, candy and some diet foods. It’s extremely toxic to dogs.

18-Alcohol

Beer, wine and hard alcohol are all no-nos for your dog. It doesn’t take much alcohol to cause alcohol poisoning in a small dog.

19-Plum and Peach Pits

The fruit itself is fine but the pits contain cyanide, which is of course a poison for humans and animals alike.

20- Apple Seeds

Just like with plums and peaches, the apple itself is not toxic but the apple seeds do contain cyanide.

And here’s a bonus:

Mushrooms:

The Amanita mushrooms has about 600 varieties of mushroom in it’s family, all which are toxic to dogs (many are toxic to humans too).

Chihuahua Puppies Play on a Bed
Previous
Chihuahua Puppies Play on a Bed
Salsa Dancing Dogs Video
Next
Salsa Dancing Dogs Video

Anni Macht

Saturday 21st of December 2019

Sympathies to all who learned the hard way; agonized over a sick pup (or worse!). ?♥️? CHOCOLATE,-my vets say: the darker the chocolate, the worse for ?. So those super intense dark choc bars @ 90%+ are very BAD!!! 2 little milk chocolate M&M’s, not nutritious - but not as bad. That said, I have kept raisins, grapes, choc, gum/candy etc w/ xylitol, poinsettias and other items on C’s list away from my pups for decades. However, your Pup’s mileage may vary. Also, a Founding Ptner Vet in practice we have gone to 35 yrs+ report told me: “Heck. I used to share grapes w/my dogs all the time when we we’re out & about. ‘1 for me, 1 for you . . . ‘“. Then she shrugged: “Who knee?” She does not anymore! Vets are “normal people,” too! This practice is terrific. Cathy, thx for super article. I learned new info. Mulch? Who knew???Merry Merry; Fa La La & Ho Ho Ho! ? Gigi ?Mia & Anni

Cathy

Saturday 21st of December 2019

Thanks Anni and pups! Great info and you are right, the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous it is.

Aly

Sunday 15th of December 2019

I would like to point out that alot of the infor.ation in this article is not true.

I've had several vets over the years talk about chocolate and dogs. Certain chocolate in moderation is actually healthy. Now of course if to much it eaten yes it can make your dog sick and possibly kill them. Ive also have always fed anything I ate to my dogs including onions, grapes, etc, and I have dogs ranging from chihuahua's to Great Danes and they are all perfectly healthy! Also my babies have drank soda and beer none of which have ever made them sick (they knock cups over every chance they get). Peanut butter is also used a way to help sickly dogs gain weight and used as treats.

I urge everyone to actually do their research before just assuming that someone who writes an article is correct.

Knowledge is power!! Please research!

Cathy

Sunday 15th of December 2019

I can't imagine any vet would tell you chocolate is healthy for dogs Aly. Every vet I have ever talked to told me it's toxic. Depending on the amount they eat, it may not kill them but it's definitely not healthy for them. I have personal experience how it kills as we lost a beagle who stole and ate 2 large candy bars. I will never condone this. Beer too can be lethal as since these dogs are small, they can get alcohol poisoning a lot faster than a human can. At the very least, do you really want your dogs turning into alcoholics?

Barbara Goldberg

Monday 22nd of July 2019

My uncle gave his fur baby a bottle of beer every day. She lived till age 15

Cathy

Monday 22nd of July 2019

Wow, a whole beer? To a little chihuahua? I'd hate to see what her liver looked like.

Dixie Greschuk

Saturday 11th of May 2019

CONGRATS TO THAT BEAUTIFUL BLACK DIAMOND FOR BEING CHI OF THE WEEK! I love black chis.

Dixie Greschuk

Saturday 20th of July 2019

ALSO MORE BIG CONGRATS TO GUNNER FOR BEING CHI OF THE WEEK! ANOTHER VERY HANDSOME FELLOW!!!!

Cathy

Saturday 11th of May 2019

Me too Dixie and Diamond sure is a cute one.

Dixie Greschuk

Saturday 11th of May 2019

Never, ever!!! give your chibaby grapes!! I sat on the sofa watching TV with my sweet Henry and I had a bowl of grapes. I would take one and then give him one over and over for about half an hour or more. That night he was unsettled and fidigity in bed. I turned on the light and he, who totally puppy pad trained had left about 8 small diareaha bits along the foot of the bed. I got up, took him to sit with me for a few minutes...........he was sick, sooooo sick, blood, diareaha and vomit until I had to take him to SMALL ANIMAL EMERGENCY CLINIC. (This was after midnight) The vet wanted me to leave him and I did. He called me after about an hour and ask about what Henry had eaten and I only told him the dog food and he ask if he had eaten snacks, then I told him about the grapes and he ask me if I could return to the clinic and I did. What a very sick baby Henry was and I do not think he recognized me. Henry and I stayed at the clinic until 7AM when my vet opened the office. I took Henry there and he stayed there for 7 days. I never buy grapes, raisins or anything with those two things in it. I will not allow those items in the house. My Henry lived and sufferred no permanent damage but that is only because I have the best vet in town. Please, please print the lists everytime you see them and post in your kitchen and other places. Cathy, thank you so much for putting these lists in the newsletter. We just do not know.

Cathy

Saturday 11th of May 2019

Oh wow! That's scary about the grapes Dixie. I never buy grapes and raisins too because it's so easy to drop one and not realize and then one of the pups will get it.