While most dogs enjoy beds, Chihuahuas enjoy them more than most because some of their favorite activities are burrowing and snuggling. This means that picking the right bed for your Chihuahua is important because it will get a lot of use between their breed’s life span and the habits of the average Chihuahua.
Based upon my experience with my Chihuahuas and feedback from my readers, here are some of my top picks for the best dog beds for Chihuahuas, broken down into categories based upon your Chihuahua’s preferences and unique needs.
Donut Dog Beds
Donut beds are exactly as the title implies, donut shaped. This style bed is popular among Chihuahuas because it keeps them very cozy and warm in the middle of the donut. The donut style is especially ideal for Chihuahuas who are hard of hearing or who suffer from anxiety because it may help them feel more secure. My dogs are still relatively young but they love these beds so much I have multiples of them throughout my house. This is their favorite type of bed.
- FurHaven Terry Self-Warming Hi-Lo Donut Cat & Dog Bed
- Dogit Style Rosebud Donut Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Frisco Eyelash Cat & Dog Bolster Bed
- Best Friends by Sheri OrthoComfort Deep Dish Cuddler
- Barkbox 2-in-1 Memory Foam Donut Cuddler Dog
Bolstered beds have a thick edge for your Chihuahua to lean against or use as a pillow. This style is particularly popular in multiple pet households because it offers room for multiple pets to snuggle together, while offering some of the comforts of a donut style bed.
- Paws & Pals 1800’s Newspaper Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Paws & Pals Self-Warming Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- Dogit Style Wild Animal Rectangular Reversible Bolster Dog Bed, Purple, X-Small
- FurHaven Ultra Plush Oval Bolster Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover *The only draw back to this design is that it is difficult to get the cover back on after removing it to wash.
The covered style of bed is perfect for nervous Chihuahuas because it offers a cozy and comforting place for them to hide if they are overwhelmed and need to be alone.
- YML Strawberry Covered Cat & Dog Bed
- YML Pineapple Covered Cat & Dog Bed
- Snoozer Pet Products Cozy Cave Orthopedic Covered Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover in Navy
- Snoozer Pet Products Orthopedic Indoor/Outdoor Cozy Cave Dog & Cat Bed in Salmon
- Frisco Cave Covered Cat & Dog Bed
Orthopedic beds may be a bit more expensive than non-orthopedic beds because they are lined with higher quality materials such as memory foam, and they often use extra of these high quality materials to offer dogs maximum comfort and joint support.
The main customer base of orthopedic dog beds are senior dogs who have arthritis, however, they are ideal for dogs of any age who have joint issues or who love extra comfort. Further, if your home has hard floors, a thick orthopedic bed is a good choice to help your dog be comfortable and protect their joints from becoming stiff from laying on a hard floor.
- Brindle Waterproof Orthopedic Pillow Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover
- FurHaven Plush & Suede Orthopedic Sofa Cat & Dog Bed
- Sealy Lux Premium Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed w/Removable Cover
- Barkbox 2-in-1 Memory Foam Dog Bolster Bed
- TwoEar Dog Bed Memory Foam
Furniture Style Beds
If you love interior decorating, a furniture style bed can offer your Chihuahua a comfy place to hang out while being a stylish addition to any room. Your Chihuahua can have his or her own personal little sofa to enjoy if you order him or her one of these sofa style beds:
- Enchanted Home Pet Snuggle Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover in Grey Chevron
- Enchanted Home Pet Ultra-Plush Snuggle Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover in Pink
- Enchanted Home Pet Surrey Cat & Dog Sofa Bed
- Enchanted Home Pet Romy Sofa Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover, Small
- Keet Fluffly Deluxe Sofa Dog Bed w/Removable Cover
- Turn any rectangular dog bed into a piece of furniture using the FurHaven Cat & Dog Bed Frame
If your Chihuahua is crated, these beds or mats will fit into their crate to keep them comfortable. Keep in mind that most Chihuahuas appreciate having a blanket or two in addition to a crate mat in their crate so they can dig a nest to sleep in.
- MIXJOY Dog Bed Kennel Pad Washable Anti-Slip Crate Mat
- MidWest Quiet Time Fleece Reversible Dog Crate Mat, Blue Paw Print
- K&H Pet Products Thermo-Pet Mat, Mocha
- Pendleton Acadia National Park Pillow Dog Bed w/Removable Cover
- FurHaven Ultra Plush Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
For Chihuahuas who enjoy spending time outside on a deck, on a patio or in a yard with their owners, an outdoor dog bed is a good choice to offer them a comfortable place to relax outdoors.
Outdoor dog beds are different from indoor dog beds because they have warming or cooling features and they are made with more durable fabric. For maximizing the longevity of your dog’s bed, and to prevent wildlife or bugs from using them, it is recommended that the bed be stored indoors and brought outside for your Chihuahua to use.
- K&H Pet Products Original Bolster Elevated Dog Bed, Chocolate
- Petmaker Waterproof Pillow Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover, Brown
- FurHaven Indoor/Outdoor Garden Orthopedic Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover
- K&H Pet Products Deluxe Lectro-Soft Outdoor Heated Bolster Cat & Dog Bed
- FurHaven Indoor/Outdoor Solid Cooling Gel Cat & Dog Bed w/Removable Cover
- K&H Pet Products Original Indoor/Outdoor Covered Elevated Dog Bed, Navy Blue
Due to the small size of the Chihuahua, they are considered prey by wildlife commonly found in residential areas. As such, never leave your Chihuahua outside unattended; he or she should only enjoy using one of these beds outside when you are outside with them.
Ollie and Hutch Dog Beds
These are premium beds and are somewhat pricey. But they are gorgeous and very well made.
- Ollie & Hutch Felix, Small/Medium Size Pet Bed, Green Velvet Sofas
- Ollie & Hutch Farmington Dog, Rustic Bed
- Ollie & Hutch Pin Tufted Pet, Large Size Bed, Gray Velvet Sofas
When shopping for a bed for your Chihuahua, keep the following tips in mind:
- Due to their small size, many Chihuahuas can use cat beds. Cat beds are often a bit less expensive than dog beds, so if you are shopping on a budget, consider purchasing your Chihuahua a cat bed.
- Some dog beds are pricey, and while you may not want to spend an excessive amount on a dog bed, consider your Chihuahua’s habits and personality. If your Chihuahua is not destructive, purchasing a high quality bed is a good investment considering the breed’s potential life span; a high quality bed could last him or her for years if they do not chew up beds and it is well cared for by you. As an example, I got an expensive bed many years ago for my big dogs and though my big fur babies have crossed the rainbow bridge, my little dogs still use that bed every day and it still looks new.
- Look for beds that are machine washable or have a cover that can be removed to be washed. Dog beds must be washed; a stinky bed means a stinky dog. Every time you bathe your Chihuahua you should launder his or her bedding. If your Chihuahua is not bathed often, washing his or her bed at least once a month is recommended.
- Some dog beds feature a waterproof liner inside the bed to protect the lining from absorbing accidents. If you purchase a bed with a removable cover that does not feature a waterproof liner, you may purchase a waterproof liner separately. This will increase the usable life of your Chihuahua’s bed.
Chihuahuas love beds and will appreciate a comfortable bed to lounge in. By considering the categories in this article, you should be able to narrow down your selection to the right bed for your Chihuahua’s specific preferences and needs.
It is not uncommon for a Chihuahua owner to experience “canine paralysis”, a condition wherein a Chihuahua becomes cozy in their human’s lap and the human does not want to move because their furry friend is comfortable. By offering your Chihuahua a cozy bed, you can be cured of canine paralysis, at least temporarily until your Chihuahua wants attention again!
Did you purchase a bed from this post? Share how your Chihuahua likes it in the comments below to help other pet parents find the right bed for their furry friends.