Tear stains are the red, rust, or brown colored streaks that appear on light colored dog’s faces. Let’s discuss what causes tear stains to appear, as well as what remedies and what diets should be considered for dogs with excessive tear staining:
What causes tear stains?
Tear stains in dogs are caused by a variety of issues; tear duct issues, skin issues or infections, allergies and diet. Be sure to consult with your dog’s veterinarian to determine the cause, as this will guide what remedies may be successful.
Tear Stain Remedies
Begin by scheduling a check up with your veterinarian to ensure that your dog is not suffering from a skin infection, allergy, or tear duct issue, as certain conditions will determine what steps should be taken or what remedies will be successful.
Some tear stain remedies to discuss with your veterinarian are:
- Adding a supplement to your dog’s food such as Angel Eyes.
- Providing your dog filtered water to drink, as excess minerals in a dog’s water may contribute to the appearance of tear stains.
- Grooming your dog’s face daily, and making sure that your dog’s face is dried after being groomed.
- Feeding a high quality dog food.
Best Dry Dog Foods For Tear Stains
Discuss the following foods with your dog’s veterinarian to determine what the best choice would be to keep your dog healthy and reduce your dog’s tear stains:
Tear Stain Specific Food
There is only one dry dog food that was specifically formulated for dogs with excessive tear staining:
Forza10 Nutraceutic Sensitive Tear Stain Plus Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
Other Food Options
Based upon research and feedback from my readers, the best diets to reduce tear stains are grain free diets or vegan diets:
- Wellness CORE Grain-Free Small Breed Turkey & Chicken Recipe Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Freedom Small Breed Adult Chicken Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Castor & Pollux ORGANIX Organic Small Breed Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Natural Balance L.I.D. Limited Ingredient Diets Small Breed Bites Grain-Free Salmon & Sweet Potato Formula Dry Dog Food
- Instinct Raw Boost Small Breed Grain-Free Recipe with Real Chicken & Freeze-Dried Raw Pieces Dry Dog Food
- Solid Gold Mighty Mini Gut Health Small & Toy Breed All Life Stage Grain-Free Chicken, Chickpea & Pumpkin Dry Dog Food
- Nature’s Recipe Small Breed Grain-Free Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food
*Keep in mind that grain free dog food has the potential to increase your dog’s risk of heart disease. Before making the switch to a grain free diet, be sure to consult with your dog’s veterinarian to ensure that would be a healthy choice for your dog.
- Halo Holistic Chicken-Free Garden of Vegan Dry Dog Food
- Wild Earth Clean Protein Formula Vegan Dry Adult Dog Food
- V-Dog Kind Kibble Mini Bites Vegan Adult Dry Dog Food
- Wysong Vegan Dry Dog & Cat Food
- Walk About Canine Exotics Vegan Recipe Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Gather Endless Valley Vegan Dry Dog Food
- Natural Balance Vegetarian Formula Dry Dog Food
Feeding a high quality food may help reduce tear stains in dogs. However, there are many possible causes for tear staining, so it is imperative that your dog is examined by a veterinarian to resolve any outstanding medical issues that may be the cause.
Also read What to do About Tear Stains.
Have you found any food that has helped relieve tear stain in your dog? Please share with us in the comments!