Naming a Chihuahua is not always an easy task; since they can live to be 20 years old, you have to pick a name that will sound good for the next 20 years of your life. Using your Chihuahua’s coat color as inspiration can be a good place to start.
If none of these strike your fancy, check out all our chihuahua names posts!
To help inspire you, here are my favorite Chihuahua names by coat color:
Cute Fawn Chihuahua Names
The most common coat coloration of the Chihuahua, most people think of a fawn Chihuahua automatically. There are lots of cute name ideas for this blonde coat color:
- Butter or Butters
- Goldie (short for Goldilocks)
- Oat or Oats
- Snickerdoodle (could be shortened to Snickers or Doodle)
- Sugar Cookie
- Flower (as in a sun flower)
Cute Brown Chihuahua Names
A less common Chihuahua coat color, your brown Chihuahua is already unique, and these cute names can add to his or her individuality:
- Hershee (like the Hershey candy bar)
- Grizzly (like a grizzly bear)
- Kodi or Bear (like a kodiak bear)
- Rolo (like the candy)
- Truffle or Truffles
Cute Black Chihuahua Names
A less common coat color, black Chihuahuas are often mistaken for other breeds. Here is some name inspiration for your little black beauty:
- Bean (as in a coffee bean or a black bean)
- Cash (like Johnny Cash “the man in black”)
- Cole (as in coal)
- Pearl or Jack or Captain Jack (as in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies)
- Storm, Rain, Raina or Thunder (since the sky becomes dark during a storm)
Cute White Chihuahua Names
Another less frequently seen coat coloration, there is no shortage of name ideas for Chihuahuas with white coats:
- Squall (like a snow storm)
- Splenda or Splendora
- Bear (like a polar bear. Or, look up polar bears in zoos and name your White Chihuahua after a polar bear in a zoo)
Cute Blue Chihuahua Names
Find inspiration to name your silvery blue Chihuahua from the beautiful silver blue hues of nature:
- Belle (as in blue bell flowers or bellflowers)
- Delphi (as in the delphinium wild flower)
- Ocean or Oceanna
- Poppy (as in the Himalayan Blue Poppy)
- Star or Starlight
Cute Red Chihuahua Names
Some Chihuahuas have coats with a reddish hue like a fox. Use their foxy cherry hue to be inspired. Here are some red Chihuahua names:
- Fox or Foxy
- Lady Bug
- Peach or Peaches or Princess Peach
- Rose or Rosie
Brindle Chihuahua Names
If your Chihuahua has a brindle coat, here are same names inspired by that delicious cinnamon swirl pattern:
- Brew, Coffee, Latte or Mocha (as in coffee, which swirls in a brindle pattern when cream is poured in)
- Lily (as in the tiger lily)
- Rajah (the tiger from Aladdin)
- Recess (because brindle coat coloring comes from a recessive gene)
- Shere Khan (the tiger from the Jungle Book)
- Tiger or Tigeress (or, look up tigers in zoos and name your Brindle Chihuahua after a tiger in a zoo)
- Tortie (as in the tortoise shell pattern)
- Vitaly (the tiger from Madagascar)
Multi-colored Chihuahua Names
If your Chihuahua is sporting a coat of many colors, look at the shapes made by the different colors for inspiration. For example:
- One of my readers saw a pony shape in her blue merle Chihuahua’s coat so she named him Stallion.
- Another reader saw clean lines and shapes that resembled a puzzle piece, so she named her Chihuahua Puzzle.
- A Chihuahua that was rescued was named Panda by her rescuers because of her coat and facial markings resembling a panda bear.
- If your Chihuahua has many different colors in his or her coat, maybe the name Picasso could be appropriate, as they may look as though they were painted.
- One of our readers Marguerite said in the comments she would like to call her chi Sundae because of her coloring, which is caramel, vanilla with a chocolate nose.
Naming your Chihuahua by their coat color offers many good potential name options. If you found several names that you liked, trying writing out a name to see how it looks on paper. Try calling it out around the house, and see what your Chihuahua responds to.
What is your Chihuahua’s name? Was it inspired by their coat color? Share in the comments below to help other readers in their quest to name their Chihuahua.