To help my readers and to make it easier to name their new chi, I have been collecting chihuahua names for several years now and we have multiple posts about them. We have all kinds of names for your chihuahua baby, from funny to sweet to tough and more posts about chihuahua names will be added on a regular basis.
Frankly, your chihuahua will not care at all about their name. But you will hopefully be living with your little fur baby for many years and you will be saying that name many times a day. So you want it to be the perfect name for your chihuahua, right?
Check out all our name posts below:
How to Choose Your Chihuahua’s Name
If you are at a loss as to what name your new dog, here’s some tips to get you started:
- Simple is best. Make the name 1 or 2 syllables. Longer names are too difficult for your pup to understand. If you really want a long name, have a shorter version that you will use when calling your dog. For example, if you want to name your dog Bartholomew shorten it to Bart.
- Don’t make the name sound similar to a command you use with your dog. It’s too confusing. An example is if you use the command “potty” when you take them outside to do their business, don’t name your dog Patty.
- If you are getting an adult dog, it’s best for the dog’s sake to not change the name. But if you do, make it similar to the name they already have. For example, if the dog is named Bandit, maybe change it to BamBam.
- Don’t use an offensive name. You may think it’s funny, but it may cause you problems down the road, and at the very least will make it awkward, for your vet, dog groomer or mother to say the dog’s name.
- You may think it’s an honor to name your new puppy after a friend or relative, but will that person (or their family if they have already passed) feel that way or will they think it’s an insult? Ask before naming them after a person you are close to.
- Try the name out for a few days and see if it fits the dog. Sometimes it won’t. Years ago, I got a puppy and a kitten at the same time. I named the puppy Nikki and the kitten Wendy. After a few days, I reversed their names and called the puppy Wendy and the kitten Nikki. It just seemed to fit their personalities better.
- Make a list of the top 5 or 10 names you like and call your dog each name to see how it feels. Does it sound natural to you? Does it seem to fit your dog?
- Once you have settled on a name, you can teach your dog their name by calling them by that name and then giving them a treat. They will associate the name with a treat. Of course you don’t have to do this forever. You can start weaning them off the treats once they seem to know their name.
How Did Chihuahuas Get Their Name?
There are several theories about the history of chihuahuas and where they originally came from. We do they were discovered in the 19th century in Chihuahua Mexico. So that’s where their name came from.
If you decide to choose a name from one of our lists, be sure to let us know in the comments which one you picked.
And be sure to leave a comment if you have a great name to add to one of our lists. Many of the names come from ideas that our readers have given us.
Monday 27th of June 2022
My baby is Daisy. She is always happy running around. Walk so straight proud.
Saturday 8th of May 2021
My boy is called jazz
Monday 10th of May 2021
Thanks Marie, I added Jazz to our boy chi names post.
Thursday 6th of May 2021
My Chihuahuas name is Jose Jalapeno
Thursday 6th of May 2021
That is so cute Donna!