We are lucky that although Chihuahuas do shed, they aren’t the heavy shedders that some breeds are (believe me I know, I also have one of those!).
Shedding is an annoyance for pet parents. It gets on your clothes, on your furniture and carpets too. I even designed a t-shirt about it. Just click here or the shirt photo if you are interested in checking it out.
Dogs shed to get rid of excess fur, damaged fur and when the seasons change. Some dogs shed due to allergies, illness and pregnancy too.
Short Hair vs Long Hair Chihuahuas
Many people think a short haired Chihuahua will not shed as much as a long haired Chihuahua. Actually it’s a little less for the long haired Chis since most of them don’t have the undercoat that short haired (or smooth coat) Chis have, although the hairs from the long haired Chi will obviously be longer.
When Do Chihuahuas Shed
Chihuahuas shed all year long but they do it more in spring and summer when the weather turns hot. They don’t need as much fur then to keep them warm so they shed some of it.
Some dogs will shed more than usual when they are ill or pregnant. Stress, poor nutrition, skin infections, allergies, cancer and other diseases can cause your Chi to shed more than normal.
When to See a Veterinarian
If you are seeing any bald spots or red irritated patches of skin, it’s time to get your dog checked by a Vet. Also your dog’s hair is coming out in clumps, or falling out when you lightly pull on it, time to call the vet.
How to Minimize Shedding in Your Chihuahua
- Bathe your dog weekly with a mild shampoo if shedding is becoming an issue.
- Brush your dog everyday. You can use a typical dog’s hair brush but I really like using a Furminator to keep the fur from getting out of control. I’m always shocked at how much excess fur I get off of my dogs when I use the Furminator.
- After you have bathed your dog, and she is dry, brush her again.
- I sometimes rub coconut oil into my dogs’ skin after their bath. They really likes the massage and it’s a great way to keep their skin and hair healthy.
- Feed your dog a healthy diet with a quality dog food.
- A vitamin/mineral supplement for dogs may help too.
- I haven’t tried this but some people swear by shed supplements. You can check them out on Amazon here.
How to Minimize Dog Hair In Your House
I recently watched a life hacks video (here’s a link to it) and the girl gave a few interesting suggestions:
- Use a squeegee to run over your carpet to pull up the hair. I suggest using a squeegee with a long handle so you won’t have to get down on your hands and knees.
- Run a wet rubber glove over your upholstered furniture to easily get up the hair.
- My tip is to vacuum and sweep more often. Not fun but it does help.
- Also weather permitting, brush them outside.
Is shedding an issue in your home? Do you have any tips you think I should add to this article? Leave a comment and let me know what they are.