I don’t know about you, but I worry about much of the store bought food and dog treats that I feed my dogs. So I decided to try my hand at making my own.
This is my first recipe post but I’d love to do more for you. Let me know in the comments if you want more dog treat and dog food recipes.
I like simple and this recipe only has 3 ingredients. 2 of those ingredients are things you probably already have on hand. The 3rd ingredient, you probably don’t. It’s salmon oil and it’s really healthy for your dog. You can get salmon oil from Amazon or Chewy.
Salmon oil helps itchy skin and is great for your dog’s brain. It’s also good for their heart and has anti-inflammatory properties. Salmon oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
Okay, here’s the recipe (towards the bottom of this post is the printable version of this recipe).
Salmon Oil and Oat Dog Treats
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Yields: About 40 Mini Treats
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Utensil
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the oats in a food processor (or blender if you don’t have a food processor) and pulse until they form a nice powder like flour. They may be a little chunky and that’s ok.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix until well combined.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into small balls. I made them about three times the size of a pea. If it’s too sticky, put your bowl in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Place them on the baking sheet and cook for 5 minutes before raising the temperature to 350 and cooking another 5 minutes.
- Take the treats out of the oven and let them sit and cool for 5 minutes.
- Store in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks. This can be refrigerated but doesn’t have to be.
Let me know if you make these and how your dog likes them. My dogs love them. Oh, and let me know in the comments if you want more recipes for dog food and treats.
Here is the recipe you can print: