We often have adorable Chis in adorable clothes show up on our Facebook page. Sometimes the pet parents are given a hard time because of those clothes. The usual statement is something to the effect “Your dog is not a doll to play dress up with” or “let dogs be dogs” or “my dog hates clothes; I would never force her to wear them”.
All of those are valid viewpoints but not really fair to people who choose to dress their Chihuahuas. There are some very valid reasons to dress your dog. And contrary to popular belief, not all dogs hate it. Many dogs love dressing up. I know this first hand (not with my Chi but with one of my big dogs).
Reasons to Dress Your Chi:
- Warmth Chihuahuas tend to get cold easily so it’s a good idea to at least have a sweater or shirt for them to wear in cool weather or highly air conditioned homes.
- Protection Clothes can provide protection from the elements. It can protect them from getting burnt by the sun; and boots and shoes can protect their paws from hot cement, ice, sharp rocks and glass, salt or deicer chemicals.
- Cuteness You can’t deny the cuteness factor of a little Chi girl in a frilly dress or a little Chi boy looking dapper in a cute outfit. Many Chihuahuas love the attention they get from looking so cute in their clothes.
Reasons NOT to Dress Your Chi:
- Your dog hates wearing clothes and totally freaks out when you try to put them on.
- Your dog easily gets overheated (usually not an issue with Chihuahuas).
So do I dress my Chihuahua Kilo? Yes and no. I do have a few sweaters that I put on her when it’s just too chilly. She hates it but at least she stays warm. I’d love to dress her up in pretty little dresses but she’s one of those dog’s that just really hates wearing clothes so I don’t force the issue.
I really enjoy seeing clothes on other dogs though and I enjoy window shopping for them, You are seeing some of my favorites in this post. Feel free to click on any of them if you’d like to order one for your Chi. They are all on Amazon and if you order through the links on my page, I Love My Chi gets a small compensation but it doesn’t cost any extra for you.
So to answer the question, “Does my Chihuahua need clothing?” the answer is really up to you. I believe Chihuahuas being the cold natured little critters they are, do need some clothing, at least enough to be comfortable and warm. The rest is up to you and your Chi.
Do you dress your Chi? Why or why not? Feel free to leave a photo of your Chihuahua in their clothes in the comments.
Here’s some more chi things you may want to check out: