Did you know June is National Fresh Fruit Month? No matter what month it is, it should be fruit month! Ever wonder about what fruit can a dog eat?
There is nothing I love better than a nice juicy orange or a slice of watermelon. You can also share some fruit with your dog if you’d like. That is, you can share most fruit. Some fruits are toxic to dogs .
Does your dog even like fruit? My terri-poo used to go crazy for oranges. I believe if you put a steak in front of him and also an orange, he would have picked the orange. He loved them that much.
My beloved chihuahua Kilo loved fruit when she was alive, particularly apples and watermelon. My chihuahua Lucy loves apples and my yorkie Ziggy loves bananas. My chi-mix Lucas doesn’t seem to care for fruit though. He’s somewhat of a picky eater.
The trick with giving fruit to your dogs is to just give them a little bit. A bite or two will do. Fruit has a lot of sugar and even though it’s a natural sugar, it can still add some pounds to your dog, if your dog has a weight problem.
Fruits that are safe to feed your dog:
Fruits that are poisonous to dogs:
- Grapes and Raisins
Fruits that are okay to eat but be aware of the pits and seeds in these fruits as they contain cyanide:
- Cherries (the fruit is fine, but don’t let them have the pits)
- Persimmons (the fruit is fine, but don’t let them have the pits)
- Plums (the fruit is fine, but don’t let them have the pits)
- Peaches (the fruit is fine, but don’t let them have the pits)
- Apricots (the fruit is fine, but don’t let them have the pits)
- Apples (just the seeds are poisonous-the fruit is fine)
A few things to be aware of is do not feed dogs pits and seeds from fruit. Some of them are poisonous and at the very least a choking hazard.
Although you can give the fruit of the orange to your dog, do not let them have any of the peel, leaves or any other part from an orange tree. Anything other than the fruit itself, is dangerous to dogs.
Make sure you wash the fruit (just as you would for yourself) before feeding to your dog.
So, does your dog like fruit? What kind?
These posts might interest you:
- 20 Dangerous Things to Keep Away from your Chihuahua
- March is Poison Prevention Month
- How to Make Your Own Dog Food
- Can Dogs Eat Zucchini